Saturday, 12 April 2008

talk talk talk

From: eye may Listen
To: letters@redefinemag.com
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 8:20 AM

Hi,
I have tried to buy the '$40.00 for 8 issues' on the website but when I go through to paying for the order it's an order for the pins, no the 8 issues. Could you let me know how I could go about ordering the 8 issues? Also, does that include the latest issue?
Thanks,
Luu x



From: huav@redefinemag.com
To: eyemaylisten@hotmail.com
Subject: Re:
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:34:01 -0700

Hi!

Sorry for the mishap on this. It is fixed. http://www.redefinemag.com/store.php

It does not include the current issue or the one immediately before it. :)

Please let me know if you have any other questions/comments. Thanks!

Vivian Hua
Editor-in-Chief


From: eye may Listen
To: Vivian Hua
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 12:03 PM
Subject: RE:

Vivian,
Thanks :)
I have paid for the back issues..
Is there any kind of deal you can do me on the remaining two copies? (current issue and one just before it)
Sorry it's a bit cheeky.. I'm a student (if that's an excuse? :P)
Louise xx



From: huav@redefinemag.com
To: eyemaylisten@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: RE:
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:34:22 -0700

Hi Louise!

Haha you know, I would looooooooove to give you something better. But 1) We're realllllly low on the issue just before the current issue and 2) We're poor too T__T Like, really poor!

That being said, I can get you free shipping since you already paid for the back issues and you already paid for the shipping. That's about $5-$6 saved.

Does that help? If you're interested, let me know, and I'll give you a separate code just for you.

How did you hear about us? Thanks for your support.

Vivian



From: eye may Listen
To: Vivian Hua
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 12:41 PM
Subject: RE:

Hey,
yeah that would be awesome :)
I totally understand...

I found you doing a search for music magazines and your homepage caught my eye, because oddly enough, I am currently working with Rob and Luke from Temposhark and they are doing a video for my music blog (I have been removing the signature on my email, but I will leave it in case you want to check it out)
It's a fairly new blog but it seems to be hitting off, I've got way more hits than I ever thought I would!

Louise xxx



From: huav@redefinemag.com
To: eyemaylisten@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: RE:
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:48:55 -0700

Very nice! Are you based in the UK?

Do you know how much music/art magazines sell for there? Kind of interested in potentially pursuing distribution there. But I'm not really sure if it's worth it or not.

That being said, I can't really give you free shipping since you're international T__T I kind of assumed you were in the States. The reason being the $40.00 order on which $8.00 was charged will probably cost more like $15 to ship internationally, haha.

So if you can just go through http://www.redefinemag.com/store.php and order the current copy and the previous one, I can give you an extra copy of the current one... does that sound interesting at all? :) Sorry for the confusion.

Vivian



From: eye may Listen
To: Vivian Hua
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 1:30 PM
Subject: RE:

Haha, I am totally confused... but okay :) will do.
Yep, based in the UK...
Umm, arty farty/music mags sell for between £4 to £10... but with the exchange rate from £'s to $'s I guess that would make it $2-$5 which sounds crazy! I currently buy Amelia's Magazine: (look here: www.ameliasmagazine.com) for £9.99 and I think that's quarterly, similar to yours Different tastes and such, but you could compare to them? Maybe contact the editor and ask her about distribution in the UK?
(do you publish quarterly? I am not sure.. 8 issues since 2004 isn't quarterly but your advertisement section says quarterly?... have you changed the frequency?).

I would really love to set up my own magazine some years down the line.. I'm currently studying visual communication (illustration and graphic design) and we cover all sorts of editorial illustration and design.. we have looked at alot of different areas... I am actually doing a project at the moment where I have to create a double page spread based on a chosen typographer. I am trying to get my paws on paper samples and things.. It's fun :) but time consuming! I only have something like a week left! I keep getting carried away looking at the magazines :) But yeah.. I really would love to go into something like that.

But I imagine it took alot to get set up? How many people are involved in redefine?
Louise xxx



From: huav@redefinemag.com
To: eyemaylisten@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: RE:
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:51:21 -0700

Hiiii!

Yeah that's crazy cheap in American money. That's weird. Thanks for the info about Amelia's Magazine. Interesting cover, for sure. Are they pretty successful? Some pretty cool stuff in the magazine :)

Yes we publish quarterly... the initial issues are all kind of different. You'll see. We used to be a free publication, which was more erratic, but have since changed to a selling model.

Very cool. Magazines are a bit of a bitch to set up from the ground up, that's for sure. ABout.. let's see... 20? People are involved with Redefine -- mostly writers and a few photographers. Art usually comes from random artists who are generally unassociated with the magazine. Our staff is volunteer, thoug, because we just don't make enough money. It costs about 4k per print run of 3,500 issues. It's NOOOOT cheap. I mean, if every copy sold we'd be raking in the dough for sure but unfortunately it is pretty niche so only about 1/3 of the magazines actually sell, making advertising extremely important to revenue.

Anyway, your blog is a good start for sure. Building up an online base first and then moving to print is probably the best idea. :)

Vivian



From: eye may Listen
To: Vivian Hua
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2008 2:11 PM
Subject: RE:


Yeah I think they sell quite well, they sell it in my local Borders (the bookstore) and sell out. I think it's alot down to how they promote it though. The editor, Amelia is very involved in arts, she goes to alot of exhibitions and readings etc... if you have a nose in her blog you will see what I mean. I think she knows alot of contacts, shes come from a fashion background as apposed to an illustration or editorial background.

Blimey, printing is expensive over there too!
I was going to suggest keeping a blog... but you already do...
maybe you should get someone from research while they're surfing the net to leave a bunch of comments on related blogs.. just like relating to peoples posts, but at the end of the comment putting the websites address or the sites blog url? because its a little less intrusive and people feel a bit more in control as if its something they have found if they be nosey and follow a link? Just an idea :) I click on other peoples blogs all the time to see why they found mine interesting!
Or! set up a youtube account! That's what I'm doing at the moment for my music blog and because youtube is just so vast, its getting loads of hits... that way when someone searches a video and comes accross your vid relating to the subject they will look at you other vids then go check out the site/mag?

20 people is quite alot actually :)
I think if you could get it over to the UK, once its plausable, you would do quite well... teenagers/students/young professionals are always looking for something fresh and quirky......... plus, if its any kind of logic; the UK is smaller than the US? haha

Louise xx


From: huav@redefinemag.com
To: eyemaylisten@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: RE:
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:20:59 -0700

yeah i guess knowing people is everything as far as success goes, eh? :) :) i was thinking the other day that it'd be nice to be a myspace celebrity even because they wield so much power! they can be like, "BUY MY MAGAZINE!" and people will do it.

who are your favorite artists in the uk? in the current issue there's only one guy from the uk - ian stevenson... are you familiar with him? actually another guy too, named andrew wheatley. he's not so famous though.

amelia is 2x a year? sometimes i wonder if that model would suit us better. or is it 4x? their website said bi-annually.

i think printing anything glossy is unfortunately super expensive :[

our next blog is going to be an arts blog. if yo ever feel like contributing, please feel free to! right now we have myself in seattle and a girl in sacramento who are interested. do you guys have any kind of "first thursday" type thing? we have one here where all the galleries are open on a thursday and everyone has a grand ol art-watching time :P it's like art party on first thursdays.

we did have a youtube account too but nothing really great up on it yet hehe. but yes, the idea you are thinking about, definitely! gotta put more videos up.

everyone works from home ^^ i wish we had an office. someday?!!

Vivian

No comments: